Sunday, December 31, 2006

Child of the Dark Prophecy, by T.A. Barron

(First in The Great Tree of Avalon series).

Avalon. Stories of that world has been floating around our own for time out of mind. Now, Barron has brought it to life again as a great tree, a tree so big that it's branches hold the stars and it's seven roots are realms that are home to countless numbers of beings, both mortal and immortal. But now, the Great Tree is in terrible danger, and it's up to 3 very unlikely heroes to save it. Elli, a priestess, Tamwyn, a wilderness guide, and Scree, an eagleman, must test their strength to the limits if the have any chance at saving the world they love.

This is the kind of book that makes you want to rush out and get the next one as soon as you finish! Barron's writing makes Avalon come alive: I could almost see the great trees of Woodroot, the hot, flaming landscape of Fireroot, and the impossibly muddy plains of Mudroot. The characters are all so unique and different: many times I wished I could actually meet them in person! But I guess I will have to be content with reading about their adventures.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I think I'd give it 10. It's a book that I think adults would enjoy as well.
Sequle: Shadow on the Stars.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds excellent - I shall request it from the library immediately. Happy New Year!

Cap'n Jack said...

Wow...that's a positive review! Once I get through the oodles of books I have right now, I'll try and get in out of the library.

Wading through Jane Austen right now...I love her--the books are so funny! Call it escapist fiction if you want, but I find her a pleasure to read. Great characterizations!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply...believe it or not I forgot my password, so I had to go about the arduous process of changing it. ;-)
Chel